5 Aiding the recovery of agriculture and farmer livelihoods
Communication and coordination
- In emergency planning protocols, clearly allocate responsibilities and activities in agricultural areas among national, provincial and local government research and extension agencies, non-government organisations (NGOs) and farmer groups.
- Develop links and coordination between governments and NGOs.
- Coordinate urban recovery and agricultural rehabilitation to minimise impacts on agricultural land.
- Build the capacity of local agricultural extension staff, NGO workers and farmer groups:
- by involving farmers in field trials and monitoring activities
- by providing training in what to expect and how to overcome production problems due to seawater inundation and sediment.
- Rebuild technical and quality assurance capacity (especially laboratory facilities).
- Re-establish farmer and community groups, including groups for women.
- Encourage productive activity.
- Facilitate the establishment of food gardens in refugee camps, especially in rural areas where the majority of residents will be farmers.